Get Surrogate Information
Frequently Asked Questions
- What does “probate” mean?
- How do I probate a will in Morris County?
- How can I get a copy of a will?
- What is a surrogate certificate, and how can I get mine updated?
- What do I do if an estate has unclaimed property?
Any fees must be paid by cash or check only. The Surrogate’s Court does not accept credit cards.
The Morris County Surrogate’s Court does not give legal advice.
About the Morris County Surrogate’s Court
A surrogate is a judicial officer, elected by the people, having jurisdiction over the probate of wills, the administration of estates, and more.
Surrogate John Pecoraro was first elected to serve the residents of Morris County in 1994. Each term of office is five years. The full title of the office is “Judge of the Surrogate Court.”